Thursday, April 3, 2014

DAY 37/365, 175 LBS, Down 2 LBS, TWL 9.6 LBS


I'm in a good place right now.  I'm working my GREEN vs RED system and my weight is going down.  Of course, I have done this countless times before.  The key to success this time, is to persevere through the challenges that are sure to come.  I have identified a few areas that tend to be challenging for me in sticking with my healthy lifestyle over a long period of time.

The first area that can lead to a setback is NOT logging my food BEFORE I eat it.  Also, I know worrying about the long road ahead instead of ONE DAY AT A TIME, is another potential pitfall.

Another area I have identified, is my LACK of PERSEVERANCE, when the journey gets difficult.  According to Lysa TerKeurst, in Made to Crave Action Plan "Perseverance is the path we walk between a trial and the blessing of maturity (spiritual completeness) that trial brings."  I want to exhibit a "resolute and unyielding commitment", "a dogged and determined holding on" and "steadfast and continued action over a long period" in order to see this journey through to a LIFETIME of healthy choices.  Notice, I did not say to persevere until the scale reads a certain number or I am wearing a certain size.  My end goal is to make healthy lifestyle choices on an regular and ongoing basis.  I want the blessing of maturity (spiritual completeness) that will come with continually making those healthy choices.

In order to have such perseverance, Lysa says "we must consider it because we won't always feel it."  When we consider something, we take time to think about it carefully.  When I feel tempted to neglect my healthy lifestyle in favor of unhealthy choices, I can choose to persevere by carefully considering my choices.  I can no longer just feel stressed and eat because I am stressed (or angry or sad or happy).  I must CAREFULLY CONSIDER the choices I am making because as I have proven time and time again, my desire to make healthy choices eventually is overruled by emotional eating (feeling a multitude of emotions that make me want to eat, whether it is to avoid the uncomfortable feelings or to celebrate happy feelings).  I must commit to considering what I am going to eat and WHY I am going to eat it.  I must CONSIDER AND CHOOSE healthy options instead of FEELING EMOTIONS and mindlessly making unhealthy choices.

According to James 1:2-4
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

I will choose to look at my difficulties in this journey as pure joy so that my struggle can be an opportunity to grow closer to God.

No comments: